Most writers struggle with this and it interferes with their creativity and the ability to get their manuscript completed. Yes I am talking about that dreaded word, Procrastination.
According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: “Procrastination refers to the act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of lower priority, or doing something from which one derives enjoyment, and thus putting off important tasks to a later time according to Psychologist.”
Procrastination can prevent you from accomplishing great things in your writing process, possibly even success. Writing is a process that takes dedication and set goals. A writer might start a project or manuscript and lay it down due to procrastination. They may think it is writers block and perhaps it could be. Could it feasibly be that they are dreading the outcome of the story the way it is going. You might decide to lay the story down and hope it takes a swift turn in another direction. It won’t happen unless you make it, by rewriting it yourself. Words don’t just magically appear on paper. They are formed first in the brain and transcribed by your hand onto paper. I use this concept perhaps because I am a nurse and I tend to use biological principles in my writing.
Procrastinating about something is not because of laziness. It could be from fear, anxiety about the outcome, lack of self control, impulse, etc… There are too many to name. The answer is to find a way around procrastinating.
1. Set simple goals- Tell yourself that you are going to write 1000 words a day or 2 chapters a day, etc… If you have self control issues, it is good to set goals to help you overcome this.
2. Relax and quit worrying about the outcome. you can always edit your manuscript when you are finished.
3. Stay focused. Quit thinking about things that need to be done. When you set down to write, your focus needs to be on writing not on things like bills.
4. Think about the prize. What reward is there when you finish your writing? Not only will you have a completed manuscript but you’ll have gratification in your completed work.
If you are eager, willing and have a strong desire to succeed, you will. First you must have passion that drives you that extra step toward your goal. Anyone can become successful and achieve what they want in life with desire and passion. Below are 5 Steps that will lead you into the right direction.
1. Determine your objective- Business is only one objective. Also, Family, children, happiness are some other objectives of which people pursue. Which one are you striving for?
2. Test your passion to succeed. If you are willing to throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble then your passion must not be where it needs to be. A strong passion will take you through the storms, difficulties in life, through the negativity and criticism of others telling you that you can’t. Get out of your comfort zone. Expect people to tell you no. Every single successful business has had someone telling them no. They didn’t give up with the first no and they are still moving forward.
3. Take steps toward your objective. Come up with different ways to help you achieve your goal. Do you want to own your own business? Think of something that you are good at. Yes money plays a role here. Find a way to start a business with the budget you have. If you want to start a big business, then think about your budget, if it doesn’t allow it, then you might want to start off slowly to help you achieve that bigger goal. Learn to handle your money wisely.
4. Give it your all. Don’t be afraid to achieve. Don’t be afraid of what others think of you. If your objective is to be happy. Focus on everything in life that makes you happy. If something drags you down and makes you depressed, then run from it. Don’t walk, but run. If your objective is to be successful in business, then do whatever it takes to meet your end goal. If someone tells you ‘No’, then move it and don’t worry about it. There will be lots of ‘No’s’ until you finally get a ‘Yes’
5. Be involved. Listen to advice from other successful entrepreneurs. Read articles, books about finance, business, and take notes. Attend business conferences and don’t forget to ask for advice.
Other related links: http://www.showcasingwomen.com/why-your-over-achiever-attitude-may-be-getting-in-your-way/